Tuesday 8 November 2011

Loving Donna

I have been a HUGE fan of Donna Hay ever since a friend gave me a subscription to her magazine in at Issue 11. My heart skips a beat bi-monthly as I open the letterbox and find a new edition waiting for me. Needless to say most of my favourite recipes are from her pages.

On Friday Kate and I were meant to ascend upon the Convention Centre for our annual pilgrimage to the Good Food and Wine Show. It was such a glorious day and seemed a waste to be indoors, so we decided to have our own 'food and wine festival' at my house on my front patio. Our inspiration was none other than Donna and her re-fashioned Chicken Taco's from her 10th anniversary edition (in stores now).

Not only are Donna's recipes simple, but they offer an abundance of taste and are possibly the simplest and easiest meals to assemble. The pages of her magazines and cookbooks are sublimely styled. She has built herself an empire and is someone I aspire to be like.

Here is the recipe (I slightly modified it for extra ease) for the chicken component of these AMAZING tacos I don't want to give too much away... do yourself a favour and purchase this edition - you will thank me! It is full of 'new classics' has an amazing spread on brownies (I have made some and they went down a treat at work) and much much more I cannot wait to get in the kitchen and cook.

Chicken
400g chicken thigh fillets (I used tenderloins)
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika (I used smoked)

Place the spices in a bowl and toss chicken to coat.
Chargrill or BBQ chicken until cooked through.

My Tomato Salsa (I made this as a simple addition)
1 ripe tomato diced
1/2 red onion sliced thinly
1/2 lime, juiced

Combine ingredients.

friday lunch
Donna serves her Taco's with a sensational home made Salsa Verde (don't bother trying these without this - we made and adored it) home made Flour Tortilla's and Pickled Chillies, sour cream and lime. I also believe this would be just as tasty with fish (tried and loved fish tacos in Hawaii).

Cannot wait for the next edition - it's always Christmas and Party inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment